W-2 for Pastors

Do we issue W-2's to pastors if they do not have any tax taken from their checks? And if this is the case how do you report it on the 941 form so that it matches the W-3?


If they are an employee of the church, you would report their income on a W-2 form.

However, if you are not
withholding any income tax from your pastor's paycheck, you would not file a 941.

If no income tax was withheld and sent in on quarterly 941 forms or no other benefits were paid, you would simply report his wages in box 1 and box 16 on a W-2.

Hope this helps,

Church Accounting Package


Comments for W-2 for Pastors

Click here to add your own comments

Nov 11, 2009
Pastors should receive W-2
by: Paul

Everything I've learned from accounting for churches indicates that generally pastors should receive a W-2 from the church, even if no tax is withheld.

Jan 31, 2012
Only receive housing allowance
by: Anonymous

If the Pastor only receives a housing allowance; is it ok to just report that in box 14 on the w2?

Apr 18, 2016
Reporting church provided parsonage and paid utilities on a pastor W2
by: Anonymous

church provides parsonage and paid utilities for pastor. How is it reported on the W2?

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Minister's W-2.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!