Where to report housing allowance not shown on W2

by Chaplain Dave

I am a salaried chaplain employed full time by a health care organization.

The organization has confirmed my entitlement to a clergy housing allowance and has given me a letter stating the amount of my allowance but has not shown that allowance in box 14 of my w2.

I am using turbotax to file my 2016 return and the advisors I have spoken to from turbotax have no idea of where to record the allowance if it us not shown in the w2.

Can you point me to the right form or location?

Comments for Where to report housing allowance not shown on W2

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 09, 2017
Housing Allowances are Reported on Schedule SE
by: Vickey

Line 2 in a Schedule SE (self-employment)


it is not that simple =)

Please read what amount you can claim as your housing allowance and what may need to be added back into your taxable wages. Go to my Housing Allowance page. Click on TOPICS at the top of this page. Go to "Minister Taxes"...then down to "Housing Allowances for Ministers"

"A nonexempt qualifying minister with an approved and designated housing exclusion must report the lesser of the following amounts on a SE schedule on their personal income tax return:

1. The amount actually spent on eligible housing expenses.
2. The fair market rental value plus furnishings and utilities.
3. The amount officially designated in advance as HA."

There is a good example on how to do that on this site:


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Minister's W-2.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!