W-2 or 1099

I am a church secretary and also a member of the church. Should I receive a 1099 or a W-2?

Comments for W-2 or 1099

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 10, 2019
Report Employees Compensation in W-2s
by: Vickey

If you are an employee of your church and unless you own a business where you are doing "admin" work for several different churches...you are most probably an "employee" of your church...so ... your compensation must be reported on a W-2.

1099-MISC are for reporting independent contractor payments. That form is only appropriate for payments in situations like I mentioned above (doing admin work for multiple churches)...or maybe a landscaper that takes care of multiple business properties.

BUT ...if you have not been withholding payroll taxes, matching FICA, and filing quarterly 941s...you have a problem.

PLEASE contact a knowledgeable CPA or tax professional that will be help you with the back payroll taxes and filings.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Minister Employee.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!