Should a Pastor be Given a 1099 or a W-2?

by Barb

I was wondering if a pastor's income should be reported on a 1099 or a W-2? He is the only "employee" of the church. All others are volunteers.


Vickey's Reply

If he is an “employee” of the church, then his income should be reported on a W-2.

If no income tax was withheld and sent in on quarterly 941 forms or no other benefits were paid, you would simply report his wages in box 1 and box 16 on a W-2.

Comments for Should a Pastor be Given a 1099 or a W-2?

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 25, 2013
W2 vs 1099
by: Cheryl

Is there a problem switching to a w2 after giving a1099 for last year? The pastor feels he is in titled to a w2. I told him it is too late or should I give it to him?

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Minister Employee.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.