Pastor signed over payment for services as a musician

Our pastor also served as a minister of music and was issued payment for this through the church and not Paycheck (where is pastoral salary is paid). He then signed the church check back to the church (without cashing it) and asked it be included as his tithes and offering. How should this be handled for tax purposes?

Comments for Pastor signed over payment for services as a musician

Click here to add your own comments

Jan 27, 2013
payment for services returned
by: Anonymous in NC

This should be added as income on his W-2 form and he should be issued a giving statement as a receipt for signing the music check back to the church.

Jan 27, 2013
returning checks
by: Anonymous

IRS Pub 526 states: "You can not deduct the Value of your time or services"

The easiest way and the least questionable-booking wise- would be for him to cash the check, add it to his income and then he can donate the money and it will show up in his giving statement.


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Minister Employee.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!

Recommended Resource!

Online classes/courses on how to use QuickBooks Desktop and QB Online for a church! 

Click here for more details!

Use coupon code "FCA" for 10% discount!