Must be considered self employed to have housing allowance?

My husband is an ordained youth pastor. We have never needed to take advantage of the housing allowance because we always receive more than we paid at tax time. However, his salary appears to have gone up because of including medical insurance premiums in it this year, so now it may be beneficial. Does he have to move to self employed status to do this? It's very confusing! Thanks!

Comments for Must be considered self employed to have housing allowance?

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 06, 2015
"self-employed? " and "housing allowance?". . .
by: Lewis in NC

Ministers have "dual tax status." Most are considered employees of their churches for income tax reporting purposes and all are considered self-employed for Social Security purposes.

See more on minister's dual status and clergy taxes by clicking on the link to the left entitled "Ministers taxes". At the same link you can read up on how he could qualify for a housing allowance and steps in getting the church to approve one within his salary.

If you then have further questions, just repost them at this blog. Hope this is helpful.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Housing Allowance.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!

Recommended Resource!

Online classes/courses on how to use QuickBooks Desktop and QB Online for a church! 

Click here for more details!

Use coupon code "FCA" for 10% discount!