Housing Allowance with No Ministerial Income

I do not receive a salary or HA from my church. Is there any way I can benefit from the tax advantage of the tax benefit with the amount I pay in rent?

Comments for Housing Allowance with No Ministerial Income

Click here to add your own comments

Oct 19, 2014
No Ministry Related Income for a Housing Allowance Exclusion
by: Vickey

No. Section 107 of the Internal Revenue Code allows ministers to [exclude] some or all of their [ministerial income] designated by their church as a housing allowance from income for federal income tax purposes.

So if the church has not designated a housing allowance and not paying the minister any income... there would not be anything to exclude.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Housing Allowance.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!

Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.