housing allowance designated in my wife's name

Can my housing allowance be paid to my wife since she works with me and lives in our home too?

Comments for housing allowance designated in my wife's name

Click here to add your own comments

Nov 30, 2017
Housing Allowance for Ministers
by: Vickey

The housing allowance exclusion is a tax benefit for qualifying ministers in which part or all of their "ministerial income" can be designated as a housing allowance.

To qualify for that exclusion you have to be classified a minister (clergy) for tax purposes. There is five separate tests that an individual should satisfy. See them on this page:


Or go to Topics (navigation links at top of page) ---> Minister Taxes ---> and scroll down to "Clergy (Minister) Taxes".

I don't believe your wife would qualify under those conditions.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Designating Housing Allowance.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.