Financial Gifts to an Unsalaried Pastor

by Bill Baldwin
(Urbana, Ohio)

Our pastor is not "full time" and holds another employment.

The church gave him a love offering and financial gifts throughout the year that totals more than $15,000.00.

Is the church responsible for paying a gift tax on that money given to the pastor?

Comments for Financial Gifts to an Unsalaried Pastor

Click here to add your own comments

Dec 08, 2020

by: Vickey

No; however, the church is responsible for reporting those taxable "gifts" to the pastor.

That amount should be reported in a 1099-NEC or W-2 depending on your particular circumstances...but the gifts MUST be reported. The IRS considers love offerings and gifts taxable income when given to an individual that is doing a "service" for the church. Please seek the advice of a knowledgeable tax professional on which form to report those gifts on.

Your pastor will be responsible for paying the income and self-employment taxes on those gifts.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Love Offerings.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.