Church paying for Pastor's Estimated Taxes for 1040ES

Should I include this in the pastor's income for the year? Or is it simply a reimbursement of an expense?

Comments for Church paying for Pastor's Estimated Taxes for 1040ES

Click here to add your own comments

Apr 10, 2013
pastor tax
by: Anonymous

I believe you include it as income on W-2 box 1. You might want to use the sitesearch located on the right

Apr 10, 2013
Paying Estimated Taxes is Income
by: Vickey

It is definitely considered income and should be reported on their W-2.

A Social Security Tax Allowance is a great benefit for ministers, but make sure it is approved and recorded in your church board minutes.

And I am not sure how you are handling the estimated tax payment, but I consulted a tax professional and he stated that although it is not against the law for churches to send in a church check with a minister's could raise a red flag with the IRS.

He stated it would be better to issue the minister a check for his SST allowance and let him give you back a personal check...if you are the one filing his 1040ES.

Apr 11, 2013
Pastor's Estimated Taxes
by: Anonymous in NC

Specifically, it is the pastor's expense and his/her responsibility to pay--not the church's.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Fringe Benefits.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.