Church employee(director of music) living in church housing

by Peg
(Yardley, PA)

We have a director of music living in church housing....we have treated it as part of his compensation. He is not a minister and to the best of my knowledge is not his housing a taxable item and if so, how does the church treasurer know how much to tell him is taxable?

Comments for Church employee(director of music) living in church housing

Click here to add your own comments

Apr 29, 2014
Value of church housing
by: Lewis in NC

Yes this would be taxable. The value included on the W-2 would be the fair market rental value, plus any utilities paid by the church.

Apr 30, 2014
but is a W2 needed?
by: Pastor Manny

I understand its taxable as SE, the question is whether or not the church has to generate a W2, if I'm the only person receiving any compensation (Parsonage only)

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Housing Allowance.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.