1099-Misc and W-2

Can a pastor that is issued a W-2 for his/her church duties also be issued a 1099-Misc for special events like marriages if performing the special event is not required of him/her?

Payment for such events come from the members of the congregation requesting the special event services and is divided among the pastor, janitor, wedding coordinator, pianist, etc.

How should the payments to the others (i.e., janitor, wedding coordinator, pianist, etc.) be treated?

Comments for 1099-Misc and W-2

Click here to add your own comments

Apr 24, 2012
1099-Misc and W-2
by: Anonymous in NC

The extra money paid to the minister for the weddings performed would just be added in Box 1 of the W-2 with his other taxable income. The same treatment would be appropriate for the janitor, wedding coordinator, pianist if they get a W-2. If they are not getting a W-2 (not considered employees), then anything $600 and over paid to them for the year would be reported on a 1099 Form. If individuals are paid less than $600 in a year, then that would not have to be reported on a 1099.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Minister Employee.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!

Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.