Voluntary salary reduction to a non-profit organization

by Church Treasurer

Our pastor has requested that his salary be reduced by $250 per month as his "contribution or tithe" back to the church in order to reduce his taxable income. I cannot find any IRS rulings that would allow this. Your thoughts? And then if he can do this, don't we have to offer this to all employees.

vickey's reply

No. It would be better to give him the total amount and then he can give his tithes out of it. Even if you do as suggested, you would probably still have to count the total plus the tithes as income.

See this page.

Please consult a knowledge tax professional.

Comments for Voluntary salary reduction to a non-profit organization

Click here to add your own comments

Jul 23, 2020
Taxed Only on Money Actually Received
by: Anonymous

If the pastor never receives the money (as opposed to receiving it and giving it back) and he does not control where it is reallocated by the church in their budget, it is not taxable, and it certainly does not constitute "tax evasion." I have a letter to that effect on file from the IRS which addresses this very question. You are only liable for taxes on money you actually received, not on what you could have received. If, in establishing the budget, the congregation says they are willing to pay, for example, $30,000 per year, and the pastor requests that they only pay him $25,000 per year (which then becomes the budget figure they actually pay him) he pays taxes only on the $25,000. The same thing happens frequently with professional athletes who renegotiate their contracts (lower) in order to enable their team to sign other players.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Fringe Benefits.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!

Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.