Speaker Fees, Love Offerings

When we have a speaker come and pay him a "fee," plus give him a love offering (for which the church members expect a tax-donation) - are we supposed to get his Tax Id# from him? I have just taken over the position of Treasurer and it has never been done in the past. Thank you, Kaye


Yes. You would need to have him complete a W-9.

If he lists a corporation on the W-9 (there’s a place to mark if they are) you would not send him a 1099-MISC; however, if he is not a corporation and the accumulated amount paid him over the entire calendar year is over $600...you need to send him a 1099-MISC and then send a copy A and a 1096 transmittal form to the IRS.

By the way...the love offerings will be taxable to him as they are considered to be for a service.

Hope This Helps,

Comments for Speaker Fees, Love Offerings

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 01, 2011
Boxes 3 & 7 on Form 1099-Misc
by: Kaye

On the Form 1099-Misc - Is it correct to list the love offerings in Box 3 as "other income" and the speaker fees in Box 7 as "nonemployee compensation"?

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Love Offerings.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!