Severance Pay

by Jay

I recently resigned from a church as the Pastor. The church gave me 2 months severance pay. They recently sent a 1099-misc form for the severance. I have been exempt from SE taxes because of my 4361 tax exemption.

My question is when I enter the 1099-misc in Turbo Tax it still makes me pay SE taxes and doesn't allow me to be exempt from it.

Am I misunderstanding something or is it a program error?

Please help


According to the instructions on IRS Form 4361.

"Only earnings from ministerial services are exempt from self-employment tax."

Your severance pay may not fall under that category.

I would either call the IRS or consult a tax professional

Church Accounting Package

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Clergy Tax Q&A.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.