Self employment tax and health insurance deduction

by Rosie

Question regarding Self employment tax and health insurance deduction:
My husband is a pastor and receives a housing allowance and a salary. We pay for our insurance entirely (over $7000 last year). How can we deduct this? We do a schedule c, but does a profit have to be shown in order to do this? Thanks and God bless!


Yes. If you report a net loss on Form 1040 Line 12, then you are not eligible to deduct your health insurance costs.

Here is a very informative article that tells you if and how you can deduct your health insurance costs.

Self-Employment Health Insurance Deduction

Hope this helps,

Church Accounting Package

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Clergy Tax Q&A.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!

Recommended Resource!

Online classes/courses on how to use QuickBooks Desktop and QB Online for a church! 

Click here for more details!

Use coupon code "FCA" for 10% discount!