Sale of a Personal Residence

by Troy

If a minister purchased their home with a housing allowance, do they still get to benefit from the exclusion from income related to gains on the sale of your home?

Comments for Sale of a Personal Residence

Click here to add your own comments

May 21, 2015
Just a guess on this ?
by: Lewis in NC

I would guess "yes" on this because of being able to also deduct mortgage interest expense on Sch. A of 1040 in addition to claiming mortgage interest expense in a church approved housing allowance, but I would suggest that you call the IRS toll free number on this. (1-800-1040 I believe is the tele. #) just to be certain.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Designating Housing Allowance.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!

Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.