Salary & travel expense broken down

Can a pastor receive his salary in two parts? 60% for salary and 40% for travel expense.
He is also given a parsonage. How should this be
reported on his W-2? Is he required to only report
his salary?

Know the answer? Face the same situation? Please post your answer or comment by using the "comment" link below. Thank you!

Comments for Salary & travel expense broken down

Click here to add your own comments

Sep 05, 2010
Travel Expenses
by: Vickey

It would depend on how the travel expenses were paid. If it was part of an account reimbursement plan the travel expenses would be tax-free, but it would only be tax free for the actual expenses. It could not be set up as a percentage.

My advice is to talk to a tax professional. They would know what should be included on his W-2 and what he can deduct and what he cannot.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Clergy Tax Q&A.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.