reporting income for school voucher program

by Jim

Ohio recently passed an income based voucher program allowing families at 200% of the poverty level to opt out of public school and enroll in a private, Christian school. Our current income, including both salary and housing allowance, puts us just under the line, allowing us to apply for this benefit. However, a small raise for next year would put us over. We are wondering if it is necessary to report the Housing Allowance as income in this situation.

Comments for reporting income for school voucher program

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 04, 2014
reporting income for school voucher program
by: Anonymous in NC

The housing allowance is not considered as federal taxable income, except for Self-employment taxes (FICA, or Social Security). I would just call IRS toll free number and ask your question.

Feb 04, 2014
Housing Allowance on a State Form
by: Vickey

Anonymous in NC is right. The housing allowance is not reported on many federal forms. It's not reportable even when figuring your income for; however, your referring to a state form and all states are different, so you might want to contact your state's agency and ask them.

Feb 04, 2014
by: Sandi

just a can always ask your church not to give you the raise... maybe consider asking them to give to a 401k plan or ??


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Housing Allowance.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!

Recommended Resource!

Online classes/courses on how to use QuickBooks Desktop and QB Online for a church! 

Click here for more details!

Use coupon code "FCA" for 10% discount!