Question on donating a house

by Tim

We are thinking about donating the use of our home to a Christian Counseling Center (501c3). One of the counselors (who is paid far less than other counselors in the area) would live there with their family, and only pay utilities, etc.

I'm wondering if this is tax deductible? For example, can we take a deduction in the amount of the rent that is not being paid (approx. $24,000/yr)? Or is there another way to approach this in a way that will make it work to help out with our taxes, etc? We likely will do it regardless, but thought if there were a way to structure things in a way to produce some tax advantages, we'd like to do so.

Thanks! Tim

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Love Offerings.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!