Presbyterian minister's housing allowance

What is the rule when two Presbyterian ministers are married and serving two different churches - does each church pay a housing/utilities allowance?

Comments for Presbyterian minister's housing allowance

Click here to add your own comments

Jan 30, 2014
2 Housing Allowances and 1 House
by: Vickey

Yes each church could; however, the couple should remember that they are limited to:

*The amount actually spent on eligible housing expenses.

*The fair market rental value plus furnishings and utilities.

*The amount officially designated in advance as housing allowance.

Whichever is the least amount is all they can claim as a housing allowance exclusion. The rest of the amount would have to be reported as income.

They would have to split their actual housing expenses too. For example someone claim the mortgage and another the utilities.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Housing Allowance.

Need a Consultation, help setting up an effective Accounting System, or someone to do your monthly bookkeeping?