Pastor's first W2

by Joan
(Columbus Ohio)

Our church has no paid employees.

Our pastor receives housing allowance only.
Church has pastor's approved 4361 in file.

This is our first year doing W2 for pastor because of a $1700.00 check that went through church account (gift to pastor) and in turn a check written to pastor. Next time we will give check back and suggest they pay directly.

Question #1 .......... Do we still need W4 filled out by pastor even though no holding is done by church?
Pastor will pay taxes when he files. He has other employment.

Question #2 .......... Is W3 required?
When pastor is the only W2 reporting we have.
If W3 is required, how will Soc Sec know pastor has approved 4361?

Thank you, Joan

Comments for Pastor's first W2

Click here to add your own comments

Jan 14, 2014
W-2 W-3
by: Sandi

this site will help you fill out the forms


Jan 25, 2014
Housing Allowance
by: Anonymous

If we change our pastors salary to Housing Allowance only what steps would need to be taken? In the past pastor has received 1099, thanks to this great site going forward he will receive w-2. He is our only employee. Thanks

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Clergy Tax Q&A.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.