Part-Time youth pastor as contract labor or HA?

by Kim

My husband is a part-time youth pastor that is paid twice a month as 'contract labor'. Another pastor told us that it would be more beneficial for him to request that the funds be treated as a housing allowance instead. Our tax preparer told us that we saved about $500 on our taxes last year by remaining as contract labor (self-employed) and not claiming housing allowance. Who is correct? I realize it's probably dependent on a few factors, but I would just like to make sure we are doing the most sensible option.

Comments for Part-Time youth pastor as contract labor or HA?

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 07, 2015
Part-time pastor as contract labor or HA?
by: Lewis in NC

First, read the qualifications for a housing allowance at the link to the left entitled "Ministers Taxes". It would be more difficult for a part-time youth pastor to qualify for a HA depending on how his other income is generated and what his duties are at the church. Read about the approx. five qualifications for a HA at the mentioned link.

If he does qualify for a housing allowance, it would be possible to save a little on income taxes in that federal and state income taxes would be excluded on the amount of the qualifying housing allowance. However, he must pay self-employment taxes of approx. 15.2% on the housing allowance for Social Security taxes--the church generally does not pay one-half of this for ministers.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Housing Allowance.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!