Part time youth minister, W2 or 1099

by Wayne
(Rio vista, TX)

I am a part youth minister at a small congregation bringing home $833 per month. Obviously taxes are NOT removed from this amount, I receive no other benefits at all. No housing allowance, no insurance benefits, etc. it is what it is. My question is, would it be better to file a 1099 or W2 form? It seems that a 1099 would make more sense because I drive many miles for youth events, pay for food for myself and the youth out of my own pocket, etc. I need suggestions.

Comments for Part time youth minister, W2 or 1099

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 29, 2014
You are an employee
by: Bill OConnell

See the section that Vickey has supplied under "payroll / employee or not".

You are an employee. Further, it is not a matter of choice as the rules are pretty clear.

Bill OConnell

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Minister Employee.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.