moving allotment

by Amy

Our church paid our new minister a moving allotment .. to cover his moving expenses. He was paid directly $7,250 (no receipts requested or accountability of how money spent). Does this need to be reported anywhere (a W-2?). He was actually paid this amount in December 2013, but did not begin pastoral duties or receive a paycheck until January 1, 2014.

Comments for moving allotment

Click here to add your own comments

Jan 24, 2014
by: Sandi

ouch, non accountable funds are included as income in box 1 of the W-2

the pastor will however be able to claim some deductions on his own tax filing.

if the pastor files their own 1040, you might want to provide them with IRS Pub 521 (also good for council to know)

this pub states what can be deducted.

If you had reimbursed them for anything that was allowed it would have gone in box 12 code P. and non allowed in box 1.


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Minister's W-2.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!

Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.