Patriot Software Advisor

Minister's Severance Pay on W-2

by Addam

I was a minister of a small local church.

The church closed its doors and gave me 6-months severance pay.

On my W-2, they did NOT include the amount in Box 1, but listed it in Box 14 Other.

I know that the severance amount is taxable, but how do I properly report this amount?

Do I need to get a corrected W-2 with the amount listed in Box 1 with my other wages?

If not, where and/or on what forms do I use/report it?

Comments for Minister's Severance Pay on W-2

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 07, 2017
Severance Pay
by: Lewis in NC

On you 1040 tax form, it (the amount from line 14, severance pay) is listed as other income on line 21.

You will also need to include severance pay and any approved housing allowance along with the amount from Box 1 of your W-2 on your SE tax schedule that accompanies your 1040 tax return (self-employment taxes).

Feb 07, 2017
severence pay
by: Anonymous

Your severance pay, as well as the housing allowance amount, does not get included in box 1. It should be all grouped together in box 14-Other income.

Feb 07, 2017
Severance Belongs in Box 1 of your W-2
by: Vickey

Severance pay belongs in Box 1. Your church needs to do a W-2c.

Box 14 is an "informational" box and is where you can report a housing allowance.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Minister's W-2.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!