Patriot Software Advisor

Love Offerings for Ministers in Pastor's Absence

Can I as a pastor issue my ministers who minister in my absence a love offering?


Yes you can; however, it will be taxable income for them as it is for a service. You will need them to fill out a W-9 and have it on file. Then if you give them $600 or more cumulative in a calendar year, you should send him a 1099-MISC from the church.

Hope this helps,

Church Accounting Package

Know the answer? Face the same situation? Please post your answer or comment by using the "comment" link below. Thank you!

Comments for Love Offerings for Ministers in Pastor's Absence

Click here to add your own comments

Aug 28, 2010
Taxability of Love Offerings
by: Marcus in Texas

Is the rule on issuing 1099's "over $600 annually" or is it "$600 or more annually?" This year we paid a supply preacher $600, so I am wondering whether I will need to issue a 1099 since it did not exceed $600.

Aug 28, 2010
by: Vickey

It is $600 or more annually. I have corrected my statement above. Hope you had them fill out a W-9 :-)

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Love Offerings.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!