Patriot Software Advisor

Love Offering For Visiting Songwriter

Question regarding a love offering for a visiting songwriter:

We are having a concert in which a songwriter (not an employee, or having any affiliation with our church) will be singing. In the advertising of the concert, it was stated that a love offering will be taken.

Therefore, in comparing with IRS regulations: it was solicited and it will NOT be spontaneous in nature. So, will it be taxable income to the songwriter and a Form 1099-Misc will need to be issued if the offering is over $600? Also, will it be a tax deduction to the donors?

vickey's reply

You are correct. If it is processed through your church and a church check is issued, it would be taxable income to the recipient.

If it is $600 or more, a 1099-Misc should be issued in January.


...always remember to get a completed W-9 from the recipient even if you don’t think the offering will be over $600. The $600 rule is for the entire if a recipient received $300 from your church when they visited your church in April and then received another $350 in December of the same would be required to send them a 1099-Misc.

Additionally: even though you do not send 1099-Misc to corporations...have all independent contractors fill out a W-9 even if you think they are incorporated. If they are, there is a place on the W-9 for them to indicate they are incorporated.

If it was specified for that individual, it would not be tax deductible to the donors.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Love Offerings.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!