Live in parsonage and take housing allowance on 2nd property

by Randy
(Washington DC)

I live in a parsonage but I am also purchasing a home for retirement. Can my housing allowance from the church cover both?

Comments for Live in parsonage and take housing allowance on 2nd property

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 30, 2014
Live in parsonage and take housing allowance on 2nd property. . .
by: Lewis in NC

Randy, it is my understanding that the approved housing allowance applies only to the house you are living in while serving the church which has approved that allowance.

Jul 16, 2014
Housing Allowance is Limited to One Residence
by: Vickey

Lewis is correct. According to Dan Busby in his Minister’s Tax and Financial Guide, Recent litigation before the U.S. Court of Appeals has clarified that the housing allowance exclusion is limited to only one residence at a time

May 21, 2016
Part time pastor
by: Cathy

What if the pastor has parsonage provided, all utilities and maintenance/upkeep is paid for by church, but his permanent residence is about 90 minutes away?

The bivocational pastor has a Monday - Thursday job but should be at parsonage fri-sun and also comes for Wednesday night service. (parsonage is fully furnished by church and on same property as church)

We currently pay $200 week salary, $100 week expenses for the travel.

Now pastor is asking that we designate $800 month to cover the mortgage on his home 90 min away, and $400 month salary (and no expense money since he can claim mileage in taxes)

Can he be paid HA for his home when we provide a parsonage that he is free to live in full time if he chooses?

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Housing Allowance.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!