Licensed Minister - not paid by church

by Linda Kreitz
(Easton, PA)

I will become a "licensed minister" with my church next year. There is no compensation for this. It is volunteer.

As a "licensed minister" I would like to know which expenses I can take as a deduction. I would be doing this as a part-time volunteer job (no compensation).

I will be using my cell phone, a small office in my house, my car, my computer, misc. office expenses, etc...

I have read a lot online on what a PAID pastor can deduct. I have not found anything with regards to a licensed minister who does the pastoral work as a part-time non-paid volunteer.

Can you point me to anyone who has an accounting expertise in this area?

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Minister Employee.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.