Issued a 1099-MISC instead of W-2--what now?

I've been issued a 1099-MISC for my work as pastor of a church, but I'm reading here that I should have received a W-2. So how do I file my taxes, and how do I pay SS tax?

Comments for Issued a 1099-MISC instead of W-2--what now?

Click here to add your own comments

Apr 10, 2012
You may use the 1099
by: Anonymous in NC

If the 1099 shows the correct taxable income you should be fine to use it to file your taxes. If it doesn't show the correct gross income then adjust your income upward or downward to reflect the correct gross income with an explanation when listing your income on your tax return form. You would be able to adjust down for the lawful housing allowance, but the housing allowance is added back to income when you calculate your social security tax (remember, clergy are treated as self-employed for SS tax purposes). If not already shown on the 1099 by the church, remember to add any allowances that were paid to you for expenses that you didn't have to show receipts for to the church with an accountable plan.

Apr 10, 2012
Further question about 1099 vs W2

Thank you for your reply! I used TurboTax, and it never offers an option to pay SE tax. Do I just override it, and open up a Form SE anyway?

Apr 10, 2012
Turbo Tax
by: Anonymous in NC

I would override in Turbo Tax and do the SE Tax form, yes.

Feb 08, 2014
wrongly issued a 1099 MISC
by: Tom

how would a church issue a W2 if it mistakenly issued a 1099 MISC?

Feb 08, 2014
Withdrawing a 1099
by: Bill OConnell

The question does not contain enough detail to answer precisely. However...

If the 1099 in question is the only one issued, get the original back from the pastor and do not file the 1096.

If there are multiple 1099s, and/or the 1096 has been issued, see the IRS guidance at

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Minister Employee.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.