Intern to Minister

by Phil

Our church is considering hiring a Seminary Student this summer as an intern to preach for us and attend to other church duties this summer. Once he graduates, passes his examinations and becomes ordained, we would call him to serve as the Minister of our church.

What is the best way to do this? Do we consider him an employee or independent contractor for the internship? If an employee, does this have any impact on his ability to file 4361 if he would want to exempt himself from SS?

Could we treat him as an independent contractor for the internship, and an employee once he becomes a minister, so he would get both a 1099 and a W-2 for the year?

Also, if we treated him as an employee, would we withhold income tax, SS, and medicare during his internship, but once he is hired as the Minister stop withholding the SS and medicare?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide!

Comments for Intern to Minister

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 18, 2014
Employing an Intern
by: Lewis in NC

Employing an intern is just that--an employee, so you would ultimately issue a W-2 with all proper withholdings. When and if he/she becomes a fully ordained minister and you hire he/she you would still issue a W-2 with optional withholdings--minister's option. 1099's are not issued to employees (for more information read Payroll data to the left).

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Minister Employee.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.