H&R Block Housing Allowance for pastors

by Larry Goodale
(Was Cordova, AK, now Wapato, WA)

I had to go back and file my 2018 taxes. I am using H&R Block software. The church I pastored did not report my housing allowance on the W-2, which was legal. But how do I tell the software that I have SE Tax I owe?

Comments for H&R Block Housing Allowance for pastors

Click here to add your own comments

Jul 14, 2020
Report Correct Housing Allowance Amount on Schedule SE
by: Vickey

I have not used HR Block software, so not sure where exactly to go in the software to input the correct housing allowance amount; however, most tax return software has a "questionnaire" that pops up when you mark in it that you are a minister...maybe when you check the box that you are a minister when inputting your W-2 information in?

The less of the 3 amounts I talk about on this page: https://www.freechurchaccounting.com/housingallowance.html will be reported on Schedule SE...so maybe if you pull up that form...it will step you thru it?

Hoping that a minister that uses that software will read this and answer your question in better detail...but since taxes are due tomorrow...you might better try to call that software's support.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Housing Allowance.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!