How to opt back in to paying social security taxes on clergy income

by Terry
(Crystal City MO)

I have a client that opted out of paying in social security taxes on his clergy income.

Now as he is approaching retirement, he would like to start paying in. Does anyone know if this is possible and if so, how does one go about opting back in?

Comments for How to opt back in to paying social security taxes on clergy income

Click here to add your own comments

Oct 31, 2022
No Option to "Opt back In"
by: Vickey

There is currently no option to "opt back in" to paying Social Security taxes on your ministerial income once you have told the IRS that you are "opposed to the receiving of social security benefits because of your religious beliefs" and the IRS has approved that "exemption".

However, that exemption does not apply to "non-ministerial" wages, so if you have earned at least 40 credits, you will be entitled to benefits.

If you don't have enough credits and have "opted out", you can still work a secular job and earn those credits.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to IRS Form 4361.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.