How Do I Report a Housing Allowance if No Income is Received

by carol

A clergy member who does not receive income just has the housing allowance needs to report additional expenses as well as depreciation for the church van he uses only for work where do i report this and how

vickey's reply

You would report the amount of the housing allowance on his W-2 (box 14) or in a church letter to the minister.

I am not sure I understand the rest of your question. If the church’s van is in the church’s name and the minister only uses it for work-related trips...depreciation would only be recorded in the church’s financial records.

See this page for depreciation instructions.

The minister would not have anything to do with the depreciation.

Know the answer? Face the same situation? Please post your answer or comment by using the "comment" link below. Thank you!

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Housing Allowance.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.