Housing expenses in two states

by Bill
(New York)

I serve churches in two states (NC and NY) and have housing expenses in each, about 6 months in both states. How should the housing allowance be set up to accommodate this? My permanent residence is in NC, but we have to rent a small apt in NY while there.

Comments for Housing expenses in two states

Click here to add your own comments

Two houses and two churches
by: Bill OConnell

The details and the numbers could influence this answer, but knowing only what is in your question...

A pastor is allowed to figure housing allowance based upon one permanent house.

I recommend that the arrangement with the NY church be restructured so that the costs of the apartment is a reimbursable expense. This keeps that cash flow out of your taxable compensation all together.

Call Wisdom Over Wealth with questions at 877-823-3101.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Housing Allowance.