Housing Expenses for More Than One Home?

When retired may a minister include housing expenses for a primary and secondary (seasonal) residence?

Comments for Housing Expenses for More Than One Home?

Click here to add your own comments

Jan 19, 2020
Primary Home Expenses Only When Figuring Housing Allowance Exclusion
by: Vickey

The IRS's Ministers Audit Techniques Guide states at the bottom of page 7: "A minister can receive a parsonage allowance for only one home."


From reading the IRS's Topic No. 417 Earnings for Clergy and Pub 517, I believe you can only claim the housing allowance of your primary residence. That appears to include retired ministers as well.

HOWEVER, you should seek the advise of a tax professional and ...I can't stress this enough...please make sure that professional is VERY knowledgeable in ministers taxes!

I can highly recommend Corey Pfaffe with the Ministry CPA: https://www.ministrycpa.org/

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Housing Allowance.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.