Housing Allowance

by Malach
(Nevada USA)

I am a Minister and I passed the IRS 5 point test for dual status (employee & self-employed). But, since i am a stipend pastor my church doesn't give me housing allowance. Does anyone know how can I benefit from the housing allowance if my church doesn't put it in my w-2?

Comments for Housing Allowance

Click here to add your own comments

Nov 28, 2012
Housing allowance
by: Anonymous

Regrettably housing allowance can not be back dated. The church needs to set up a housing allowance for you, this does not mean they have to pay you a certain amount but that you can claim a certain dollar amount of your income for it. Get them IRS Publication 15 series and also 1828 for information on how to set it up. This is a benefit that costs them nothing and should be provided.

Nov 28, 2012
Housing Allowance Included in Minister's Compensatin Package
by: Vickey

The commenter above is correct. You cannot back date a housing allowance and your church would have to be the one to designate and set up a housing allowance for you.

However, IRS Pub 1828 states "If none of the minister’s salary has been officially
designated as a housing allowance, the full salary
must be included in gross income" which leads me to believe that the housing allowance must be designated as part of the minister's compensation package and be paid from the church.

Also, according to Guidestone, a well-respected financial resource for churches and ministers, "A minister’s housing allowance can be designated for ministerial income only." See this page on Housing Allowance FAQs

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Fringe Benefits.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.