Housing allowance while living over seas temporarily

by Tim Galloway
(Marietta, GA)

I am licensed and ordained and received housing allowance for the past 6 years. In 2009, my family moved to Chile for the months Sept. to Dec. for ministry work. I maintained my house that I own in the USA and rented a flat while in Chile. So, in effect I had two houses to maintain. Also, we had a man house-sit for us in our home in the USA and he paid for the utilities. some months he gave more which we used to help pay against our mortgage payment. but we had no profit, it just help cover some of the expense.

So, is my thinking right: for those 4 months we actually lived in Chile, Could I also include the expense of maintaining our home in the USA as part of my housing allowance? I reduced actual expenses by subtracting out any money which our house sitter gave us

My dad thinks we should make the house in the USA a rental property for those 4 months and report it as a loss and simply track housing allowance for any expense we incurred while in the actual places we lived.

Thank you!!!!!!!

Tim Galloway
Grace Ministries International

Comments for Housing allowance while living over seas temporarily

Click here to add your own comments

Oct 19, 2014
Live in and Maintain a Home for Housing Allowance
by: Vickey

I would consult a CPA or tax attorney. I believe you have to live and maintain a home in the US to qualify for the housing allowance. If so, you would not be able to claim your housing expenses for those four months.

It would be worth the cost to consult an expert in this situation.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Housing Allowance.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.