Housing Allowance less than house rent

by paul
(durham nc)

I am a pastor and the board of the church of which I am also an incorporator and president agreed to give me a housing allowance. All the amounts I receive is a housing allowance and my monthly rent is more than the Housing allowance. Do I report the housing allowance I receive on Schedule C as Gross Receipts and my Rent on Other expense?

Vickey's reply

No. You would report the lesser amount presumably your housing allowance on a Schedule SE. You will owe self-employment tax (Social Security tax) on the amount, but not income tax. See this page for more details.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Housing Allowance.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.