Housing Allowance: Church vs. Minister

by Glyndon Morris
(Chester, NY)

Is there any legal reason the church cannot designate the salary as 100% housing allowance, so long as the minister, when paying the SE and income taxes only deducts those expenses allowable as housing allowance?

I am NOT a bi-vocational minister. My package is about $50K/yr. My rent and utilities is about $20K. Since I am new not only to the particular apartment I am renting, but to the entire region, I am only guessing as to the utilities. Sadly, due to poor communication and poor understanding of the tax code, my officially designated housing allowance is only $11K. So this year, I am gonna get screwed, having to pay taxes on $9K that will actually be my housing, just not included in the official housing allowance.

So next year, could the church declare that all of my $50K is official housing allowance? Of course, when it comes time to pay taxes, I would only deduct the $20K (or whatever rent+utilities actually turns out to be) and then I would gladly pay taxes on the rest.

I'm sure this is not the spirit of the law, but does it achieve the letter of the law?

Comments for Housing Allowance: Church vs. Minister

Click here to add your own comments

Housing Allowance: Church vs. Minister. . .
by: Lewis in NC

If one would not be tempted to inflate the actual housing expenses, then this could satisfy the "letter" of the law.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Designating Housing Allowance.