Housing Allowance and Parsonage

Housing Allowance and Parsonage, Are they the same?


No. A parsonage is simply a place where the minster and his family live. It is owned by the church.

A housing allowance (or parsonage allowance) is a special benefit that ordained ministers receive income tax free.

IRC section 107 permits qualified ministers to exclude housing-related compensation from gross income to the extent it relates to service performed in their ministry.

In plain English: Ministers who own or rent their homes or live in a church provided parsonage may be able to exclude from their federal income taxes a portion of their salary that has been designated by their employer as a "housing" allowance.

The housing allowance is sometimes called a “parsonage allowance” for minister who are provided with a parsonage and a “rental allowance” for ministers who rent their home.

***Note: Even though a housing allowance is excluded from a minister’s federal income tax, it is not excluded when figuring his self-employment tax. (taken from the ebook Housing Allowance)

Hope This Helps,

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Housing Allowance.