Housing Allowance and Mortgage Interest

If a Minister has a housing allowance and deducts expenses for the house he owns, like mortgage interest, taxes, utilities against it; Can the mortgage interest be deducted on Schedule A also?
Thank you

Comments for Housing Allowance and Mortgage Interest

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 17, 2015
Mortgage Interest and HA. . .
by: Lewis in NC

Yes, the US and, most if not all, state governments allow mortgage interest to be an itemized deduction on Sch. A of 1040 and additionally mortgage interest can be added into the housing allowance that is approved by the church council. The housing allowance is an exclusion from taxable income--the government does allow a "double-dip" here for qualifying clergy. The housing allowance is added back to other income before figuring (SE taxes) social security taxes on the Self-employment tax form.

Oct 14, 2015
by: Anonymous

learnt new thing from your post.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Minister's W-2.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!