Health Sharing Ministries as alternative to health insurance

by Dawn Pitman
(Navarre, FL)

Our church has opted out of traditional health insurance and instead recommend (not required) that our pastors join a health sharing ministry such as Samaritan Ministries.

They pay a monthly "share" amount to another member of the health sharing ministry for needed health costs.

Can this be considered a non-taxed benefit whether included in our pastors pay to cover that expense or paid for by the church directly. I'm thinking either way it's taxable but wanted to confirm.

Comments for Health Sharing Ministries as alternative to health insurance

Click here to add your own comments

Nov 10, 2018
Health Sharing Ministry Payments Taxable
by: Vickey

I just got back from a church tax conference and was told that according to IRC 106 payments to a medical sharing organization are completely taxable to an employee of the church and the amounts of those payments must be added to Box 1 of their W-2.

They also mentioned that if the church was going to do that they should seek professional guidance to create a self-insured plan that both complies with federal tax laws and with the ACA (Affordable HealthCare Act).

I can recommend Sommerville & Associates, P.C. in Arlington, TX. Their website is:

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Fringe Benefits.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.