HA and W-2

by Phil

To clarify, the church is responsible for designating the Housing allowance; the minister is responsible for tracking the actual expenses and/or the fully furnished rental value, correct?

On the W-2, the church would simply put in box 14 the HA that was designated at the beginning of the year. If the minister did not spend the entire amount, it would be his responsibility on his tax forms to put in the proper amounts?

So, for example, the Minister receives $50,000 for wages, $12,000 of which is a housing allowance. In box 1 on the W-2 would be entered in $38,000, and box 14 would be $12,000 for the HA. If the minister only actually spent $10,000 in housing expenses then he would be responsible for reporting $40,000 of income and $10,000 for his housing allowance even if his W-2 reported the 38,000/12,000 numbers.

Is this correct?

Comments for HA and W-2

Click here to add your own comments

Dec 28, 2014
HA and W-2
by: Anonymous - MN

Yes, your have described the correct way the HA should be reported on the W2 and handled with the Pastor's filing of his taxes.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Housing Allowance.

Need a Consultation, help setting up an effective Accounting System, or someone to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll?

Recommended Resource!

Online classes/courses on how to use QuickBooks Desktop and QB Online for a church! 

Click here for more details!

Use coupon code "FCA" for 10% discount!