Gift to a church member?

I was asked to do some help around the church and the pastor wanted to pay me.

I am retired and did not want to mess that up.

Can I volunteer and if the pastor would give me money in return, can I give it all back to the church as a love offering.

Will that be tax deductable for me, will I have to claim that money, and will it be tax deductiable for the church?

Know the answer? Face the same situation? Please post your answer or comment by using the "comment" link below. Thank you!

Comments for Gift to a church member?

Click here to add your own comments

Dec 04, 2010
Gifts for services rendered
by: Marcus in Texas

If you are being paid for providing services, then it should be considered as taxable income to you. It would seem to me that the only way you could claim returning the $$$ to the church as a charitable contribution would be if you offset it by showing it as taxable income, so the "net" to you would seem to be zero. I volunteer my services as church treasurer and will accept no compensation; however, should I receive a monetary "gift" for performing the services, I would have to show it as compensation subject to taxation.

Since churches are not taxed the same as commercial entities, there is no tax benefit to the church for paying you or anyone else for providing services, either as an employee of the church or as a volunteer.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Love Offerings.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.