Gas Allowance Reportable on the W-2 form?

by Clifford Johnson

Should an "opted-out" pastor's gas allowance be placed on the W-2 form?

Comments for Gas Allowance Reportable on the W-2 form?

Click here to add your own comments

Dec 26, 2012
Gas allowance
by: Anonymous

It depends on how you pay it, check out IRS pub 15B and also


Feb 07, 2013
Taxable Income
by: Vickey

If you are just issuing him a check for a gas allowance and it is not through a properly set up accountable reimbursement plan, then would be included in box 1 of his W-2. He won’t owe any SS tax because of his opting out, but he will owe income tax on it.

Feb 17, 2014
by: Sandi

Official site for W-2, W-3 forms:


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Minister's W-2.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!

Recommended Resource!

Online classes/courses on how to use QuickBooks Desktop and QB Online for a church! 

Click here for more details!

Use coupon code "FCA" for 10% discount!