Federal Taxes

by Brad

I'm the Director of Student Ministry at a United Methodist Church and I'm not currently an ordained minister.

An older pastor I know mentioned that what he did while he was working on his formal ordination was become ordained with an outisde body so he could have the tax breaks while becoming ordained.

He also mentioned that meant he didn't have Federal taxes taken out of his paychecks. I'm not sure if he explained it right to me or not.

Either way I'm thinking about going back to school to be fully ordained and wanted to know if it was a good idea for me to be ordained by an outside body (an organization that was set up to help non-denominational missionaries with ordination for tax reasons).

Am I completely off base here?

Know the answer? Face the same situation? Please post your answer or comment by using the "comment" link below. Thank you!

Comments for Federal Taxes

Click here to add your own comments

Sep 26, 2010
Classified as a Clergy for Tax Purposes
by: Vickey

I cannot advise you about being ordained by an outside body, but if you are classified as clergy for tax purposes, you are exempt from income tax withholding (although you are not exempt from paying income taxes).

You can request voluntary withholding by submitting a W-4 to your employing church.

The church cannot withhold FICA taxes as a clergy/minister pays his social security taxes through the SECA system. See this post.

This pertains to ministry-related income only.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Minister Employee.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.