Federal Tax ID

by Rena'
(Birmingham, AL)

Are there any dangers for putting the church tax id on a member's contribution letter? Can the church include the Federal tax id number on the contribution letter?

vickey's reply

I believe some churches include their EIN on their contribution receipts. I do not see any harm in doing that and it may come a day where we will be required to do it anyway.

Comments for Federal Tax ID

Click here to add your own comments

Dec 16, 2010
Federal Tax ID on Receipt
by: Ana Luisa Lantigua CPA

Currently there is no danger on putting the federal tax identification number on contributions receipts. Should the individual be audited by the IRS, the IRS may require that the donor obtain the Federal Tax Identification Number to prove the contribution was given to an organization that is allowed to received tax deductible contributions. In addition, there are many government sites that if you look up the organization by name the federal identification number is on the website.

I hope this helps.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Contributions .

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.