Eligibility for tax-exempt Housing Allowance

How does a church confirm if their (part-time) minister is recognized as such by the IRS and is thus eligible for a housing allowance?

Comments for Eligibility for tax-exempt Housing Allowance

Click here to add your own comments

Dec 11, 2019
Classification as a Minister
by: Vickey

See the IRS's "Ministers Audit Techniques Guide" for guidelines on classifying an employee as an employee.

First of all they MUST be duly ordained, commissioned, or licensed minister of the church.

The rest of the guidelines include:
-Administer the sacraments of the church (weddings, funerals, baptisms, and communion, etc...)
-Be considered a religious leader by the church
-Conduct religious worship
-Have management responsibilities in the church

They don't have to do all of the 4 guidelines above...but should be doing most of them to be considered a minister by the IRS.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Designating Housing Allowance.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.